MEN'S WALK TO END ABUSE 2004
Springfield to Greenfield
October 6-9, 2004
We Did It! Thank you to all who walked and supported us in 2004. We received more than $5,000 in donations to support our work to end domestic violence.
Why is preventing domestic violence men's business?
- Because every 9 seconds a woman is beaten in the United States.
- Because 3 to 4 million women are battered each year.
- Because 10 times more women than men are victims of relationship violence.
- Because the victims are our sisters, daughters, mothers, wives and girlfriends, friends and neighbors.
- Because stopping violence is everybody's business.
The Men's Walk to End Abuse is a walk across three counties of western Massachusetts to start off Domestic Violence Awareness Month, highlighting men taking responsibility to end men's violence against women in the community. Our 2005 goal is to raise $20,000 through sponsorships of the walk to help the Men Overcoming Violence (MOVE) program help abusive men stop their destructive behavior. We're seeking business sponsors and asking individual walkers to help by getting pledges of support.
Here are some ways you can help:
- Walk with us! Walk for part of a day, a full day (about 10 miles), or the whole walk. This walk is especially for men, but women and children are welcome!
- Collect pledges. Ask your family, friends, coworkers, local businesses, and others to support your participation with a contribution to Men Overcoming Violence. Your sponsors can pledge a certain amount per mile or per day, or just pledge a fixed amount as their contribution. You don't have to collect pledges to participate, but we do need your help to make our goal.
- Spread the word. Tell your friends about the Walk. Encourage your employer to become a sponsor. Announce the Walk at your school, place of worship, clubs, union hall, or workplace. The more people hear about the Walk, the more successful it will be.
- Can't walk with us but want to help? We need drivers and other volunteers to support the walk. We also need help identifying sponsors. And of course, you can make a donation in any amount to support the MRC and MOVE.
- If you live in another area, consider holding your own Men's Walk to End Abuse. Let us know so we can tell the world that men all over care about stopping domestic violence.
Become a Sponsor of the Men's Walk to End Abuse. Your name will appear in all publicity before and during the event, including in our magazine Voice Male, on walker t-shirts, on our website, and on all flyers.
Thank You to the
of the 2004 Walk:
for all their support, including a rally at Baystate Medical Center on October 6.
Amherst and Florence, MA
Fashions by Yoko
Finck & Perras Insurance Agency
Easthampton and Florence, MA
Goldens Bridge Financial Services
Yorktown Heights, NY
Hot Mama's Foods
Integrity Development & Construction
Shady Glen Diner
Turners Falls, MA
Thayer Street Associates
South Deerfield, MA
Back to top