Drop-in Groups: The Men's Resource Center for Change (MRC) currently offers a variety of drop-in support groups. These groups are based on a simple premise: men need a safe place to talk honestly about their lives. By inviting men to "drop in" without requiring an ongoing commitment, the groups remain open and accessible. Trained volunteer facilitators lead all support groups. There is no fee, but donations are requested.
Please Note: We rely on voluntary donations to keep our Support Groups going without charging a fee. Thank you to those group participants who have helped us meet our financial goals for sustaining the program. Please come to groups prepared to make a contribution if you possibly can. And, of course, if you can't afford to give, you're still welcome!
SCHMOOZEFEST: The MRC hosts a quarterly gathering of gay and bisexual men and other men who love men. The primary purpose is to provide an alcohol-free and drug-free environment for socializing and community building. This event is a great opportunity to meet others from around the Pioneer Valley. Contact us if you'd like to learn more about future events beginning in the fall.
- General Support Groups: These groups are open to any man who wants to experience a men's group. Topics of discussion reflect the needs and interests of the participants. Groups are held in:
- Amherst, at the Men's Resource Center, on Sunday evenings (7:00 - 9:00 p.m.)
- Northampton, at the Senior/Dugout Games Room, Council on Aging, 240 Main Street, on Tuesday evenings (6:45 - 8:45 p.m.)
- Greenfield, at Network Chiropractic, 21 Mohawk Trail on Wednesday evenings (7:00 - 9:00 p.m.)
- Group for Men Who Have Experienced Childhood Neglect, Abuse or Trauma: This group is open to men who were subjected to neglect and/or abuse growing up and is designed specifically to ensure a sense of safety for participants. It is a facilitated peer support group and is not a therapy group. Group meetings are held on Fridays (7:00 - 8:45 p.m.) at the MRC in Amherst.
- Gay, Bisexual, and Questioning Group: Specifically for men who identify as gay, bisexual, or who are questioning their sexual orientation, the purpose of this group is to provide a safe and supportive setting to share experiences and concerns. In addition to providing personal support, the group will be an opportunity for creating and strengthening local networks. Group meetings are held on Mondays (7:00 - 9:00 p.m.) at the MRC in Amherst.
Resource and Referral Information: Individuals can contact the MRC for resources and referrals for various men's needs. Information about counseling, legal, and emergency services are available. Just call us at (413) 253-9887.
Allan Arnaboldi is our director of support programs.